As mentioned in a previous post, the Entomological Society of BC has been working hard to improve the Society’s impact by enhancing our online presence to reach more people in BC, as well as the rest of Canada and the world. We’ve undertaken a massive project to digitize our entire journal archive, and are in the process of moving all 108 volumes of the Journal of the ESBC online (plus occasional papers, supplementary reports, and the Quarterly Bulletins dating back to 1906!).
This project will provide unprecedented public access to the Society’s publications, and you can help! With scanning and OCR completed, we need to extract the metadata for each article, including the abstracts and references, so that we can import them into our new online journal system (link to http://journal.entsocbc.ca). We are recruiting volunteers to assist with this step, as well as creating cover images from the scanned volumes.
- Flexible and easy;
- Can be done from anywhere (you don’t have to live in BC!);
- Opportunity to explore the history of entomology in BC;
- Work closely with ESBC journal and web editors;
- Contribute directly to the establishment of a permanent, online, open-access repository of entomological knowledge in BC;
- Ideal for students or anyone with an interest in entomology and community service.
Contact Alex Chubaty (email@example.com) if you are interested in contributing time towards this project.