By Ward Strong, Research Scientist (Entomology), B.C. Ministry of Forests, Lands, and Natural Resource Operations, Kalamalka Forestry Center
Syrphid head (Merodon equestris) Photo by Ward Strong
Are you a shutterbug? In love with your macro lens? Show off your favourites at the prestigious 8th Annual ESC Photo Contest! The submission deadline is July 31, so get your latest photos in soon. You too could win prestige, honour, and the admiration of your friends and peers. Top winners will grace the covers of The Canadian Entomologist and the ESC Bulletin for all 2013 issues. A selection of all submissions will be displayed on the Photo Contest website.
Contest rules are posted below:
• Photos of insects and other arthropods in all stages, activities, and habitats are accepted. To represent the scope of entomological research, we also encourage photos of field plots, laboratory experiments, insect impacts, research activities, sampling equipment, etc. Photos should, however, have a clear entomological focus.
• Digital images must be submitted in unbordered, high-quality JPG format, with the long side (width or height) a minimum of 1500 pixels. Entrants may submit up to five photographs. A caption must be provided with each photo submitted; photos without captions will not be accepted. Captions should include the locality, subject identification as closely as is known, description of activity if the main subject is other than an insect, and any interesting or relevant information. Captions should be a maximum of 40 words.
• The entrant must be a member in good standing of the Entomological Society of Canada. Photos must be taken by the entrant, and the entrant must own the copyright.
• The copyright of the photo remains with the entrant, but royalty-free use must be granted to the ESC for inclusion on the cover of one volume (6 issues) of The Canadian Entomologist, one volume (4 issues) of the Bulletin, and on the ESC website.
• The judging committee will be chosen by the Chair of the Publications Committee of the ESC and will include a member of the Web Content Committee.
• The Photo Contest winners will be announced on the ESC website, and may be announced at the Annual Meeting of the ESC or in the Bulletin. Winning photographs, and a selection of all entries, will be exhibited on the website.
• There is no cash award for the winners, but photographers will be acknowledged in each issue the photos are printed.
• Submission deadline is 31 July 2012. Entries should be submitted as an attachment to an email message; the subject line should start with “ESC Photo Contest Submission”. Send the email message to: email@example.com.